Monday, September 15, 2014

Week 2 Assignment 2

The video portrays how the importance of reading skills is established early on in kindergarten.  It is emphasized that students are considered readers and writers from the start of the educational experience.  I found it impressive how the teacher was able to use various strategies to expose her students to words and the use of language.  I thought it was pretty sophisticated compared to the expectations I had for a kindergarten classroom.  The different reading strategies gave students the opportunity to experience reading and language in different aspects and exercise their abilities in different ways.  The independent reading obviously had the students improve their own skills individually where the guided reading provided a little more structured support as they read.  Group reading aloud helped students hear each other and improve their own reading by hearing others.  I think hearing language is very important for students, especially ELL student populations.  

3 comments:

  1. I also thought the teacher's strategies were great. She managed to engage students in each activity. I never went to kindergarten in this country but after observing a kindergarten class this past year as part of my field experience and also watching this video I realized that the kindergarten classes are filled with a variety of learning activities. The emphasis on reading and writing is huge as students are expected to read and write fluently by the end of the grade. Overall, I think the video was a great example of how ELA skills should be implemented in the lower grades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is amazing how much students are able to do skill wise at such a young age. I'm a middle school and high school math person so I didn't even realize students were reading in kindergarten! It really is amazing to me. I also am considering how there is such a backlash against the CCLS because they do required such higher level learning experiences than traditionally there has been. In the middle school grades I see the positive impact of the standards (even with the added stresses on all involved) but I have spoken to quite a few disgruntled parents who feel their young elementary school students are being too pressured in the classroom. But I see videos such as this and what goes on in the classroom and I see the positive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was impressed as well with the reading skills of the kindergartners. I was an after school counselor for kindergarteners and only 1 or 2 of them could read at that level. This video is a great example of what students can accomplish when given the right tools to succeed.

    ReplyDelete