Lesson Plan
Running Record Reflection
The
running record assessment is a great tool for tracking readers’ progress. An initial assessment can be used to
determine an individual student’s reading level in order to provide them with
the appropriate level of text. Follow up
assessment can and should be used to gauge student progress and identify any specific
weaknesses the reader has in order to address those weaknesses and help the
reader become successful. Running records
track readers’ fluency and provide valuable information for instructors to plan
for individual students and even small groups.
Before
conducting the running record assessment for this particular student I was
aware that she was having some difficulty with sounding out unfamiliar words
and struggled a bit with words that had silent letters. The student’s confidence level regarding
reading was low and therefore she is not always as excited to read a new text
as some of her classmates. The text used
is a 2nd grade level text that has a few words with silent letters
and quite a few contractions. Before
beginning the assessment I asked the student if she had ever been on a train to
which she responded yes to go to the city around Christmas time. She also told me she would like to visit
Disney in Florida with her mother but they would take a plane not a train. I told her the story was called One Fast
Train Ride and that it is about a young boy that was going on a train ride to
visit a family member. The student had a
93% accuracy rate and a 1:4 self-correction rate. She made 9 errors in a 135 word text which I didn’t
think was too bad considering the information I was given about her reading
abilities. I did notice she confused
tenses (i.e. visited rather than visiting) in the beginning of the text but she
immediately corrected herself. She did
skip over one or two words but I did notice she was trying to read at a faster
pace when she skipped the word(s). On a
few occasions when she came across a contraction she made an error and
self-corrected. There were two words she
made errors with due to I believe a visual error. I had to help her with two words in the text,
bullet and scenery. She did pause when she
was reading to ask me what a bullet train was.
She seemed confused at this point and hesitated to move on. I found this interesting and appreciated her
attempt to make meaning of what she was reading. It was almost as though she couldn’t continue
until she knew what that meant. After
conducting this assessment I feel the student needs practice with words that
have silent letters or different sounds such as the word ‘scenery’. I also feel the student could use to practice
with recognition of contractions.
After the student finished reading I asked her what she thought about the story to which she responded it was good and expressed her desire to find out about bullet trains. When I asked her what the story was about she told me it was about Wes who was going on a train to visit his Grandma. I asked her how Wes was feeling about the train ride and she told me excited because he was going to visit his Grandma. I asked the student how Wes' train ride was and she said good. I noticed that the student did not pick up on the emotions Wes felt during the train ride. I also feel like the need to know what a bullet train was distracted the student from experiencing the feeling of the rest of the text. I feel like the student could benefit from developing emotions from a text and making connections to her own emotions.

No comments:
Post a Comment