Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Week 5 Assignment 3


So I do not have access to an elementary school student BUT I do teach 2 periods of AIS each week.  I have a class that is 5 students in a 12:1:1 Special Education setting.  I completed the running record for one of the students in this class.  I found it interesting how the student would pluralize words that were singular and when we made mistakes he immediately corrected himself afterwards.  Another thing I noticed was that he added words that were not there a couple of times.  In the second paragraph when he read "live whales" he read it as in "to live" rather than the whales are alive. 
I spoke to the students about how ELA class runs and how often they get a chance to read aloud in class.  They told me most of the time the teacher reads and sometimes the "best student" gets to read but not the other students.  They didn't say if it was by choice or the teacher chose.  

For a mini-lesson I would read to the students using a pointer to point to each word as I read it.  I feel like this would help students follow along.  I would then give students the opportunity to participate and read along with me.  Then I would have students in groups and take turns reading.  Once students have read a piece of text I would ask them to write a sentence or two about what they read to check for comprehension. To help this particular student I would focus on the different between plural and singular nouns and review what each look like, sound like and mean.  I would work on addressing as students read trying to make sense of the rest of the sentence (i.e. should this word be plural or singular based on the rest of the sentence). 

1 comment:

  1. Josephine, a pointer is an excellent tool for student to use while reading as it really helps them focus. It's also great how you plan to check for comprehension. Discussion or , like you wrote, writing thoughts on passage, is so important as just reading but not comprehending isn't considered to have really ready and understood. Great lesson idea!

    ReplyDelete