Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Week 7 Assignment 2


1. How can you ensure that your struggling readers have access to texts they can easily read?

Students are grouped according to reading level and are given the appropriate text with an appropriate level of vocabulary and complexity.  Texts also vary as far as type of informational text and format.  Leveled reading programs are available.  Students are given strategies for sounding out words and word-picture associations.  To monitor student growth they take pre-tests and post-tests along and the teacher conducts running records at the start of each unit to track student reading fluency.
 
2. How can you foster a learning environment in which students have many opportunities to practice reading?
Reading theater, partner read, read aloud, all of these strategies can be used to provide students with the opportunity to practice reading.  When students are listening they are still practicing reading.  I think it is important for students to follow along as a teacher or a classmate reads.  Students are also given time to choose a book that interests them in order to read independently.  Labels and the word wall give students the opportunity to practice reading in the classroom.  It is also important to create a friendly environment where students want to read and have a multitude of options for reading material.  Creating routine is also imperative.

3. Describe ways in which you can model fluent reading in your classroom throughout the day.

During instructional read aloud I would read and re-read important phrases and occasionally have students echo read.  I would read at an appropriate pace and model how to go back and remind myself what I have read.  I would also emphasize new and important words in a text.  Being explicit and specific when modeling reading is essential.  Emphasizing words and sounds as well.  It is very important to model for students how fluent reading does NOT mean reading at a fast pace and even that reading too fast can cause you to not understand what you are reading or even trample over words.  Reading words with the emotions of the characters is also helpful. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you when you answered the second question that there is vast opportunity to practice reading skills. I like the idea of everything being labeled in the classroom. And I also enjoy when teachers use pointers to help students read along and pace themselves appropriately. It's a good point that you raise, that students have to be exposed to all different elements of reading practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Modeling is an effective way to reinforce students' development of fluency, followed by independent practices. :)

    ReplyDelete